Yesterday, we headed up to Three Rivers for the much-hyped (way overhyped) Hot Dog Festival. It was a lot less "festival" than the promotional flyers indicated, and a lot more like a simple hot dog lunch (choice of veggie dog or regular, with corn and a root beer float). But it was a fundraiser for the firemen and the historical museum. And moreover, it was an excuse to drive up to Three Rivers. We also stopped by Reimer's Candies to pick up some gourmet sweets and enjoy a view of the river, which continues to race down to the lake in a churning hurry of white water tumbling over smooth boulders. Below, Leila got brave and let a fireman give her a tour of the firetruck....
This past week introduced another big challenge for Leila. She started swim lessons on Monday the 11th with the City of Visalia. Lessons lasted for a week. Leila was terrified, which I expected. And as expected, I provided the counterpoint to her terror with my ardent enthusiasm. (Afterall, this is how I spent three of my teenage summers... teaching other kids how to swim through this same program... and little has changed.). Leila shed a lot of tears, drank gallons of pool water and was a record on repeat to the teacher, "Can I go home now?" But overall, she did really well, and I was so proud of her. Each day she got braver, as the instructor pushed her a little bit more. We're well on our way to getting to enjoy the pool together!
And on July 6, Leila started school!! As I anticipated this day, I was excited for Leila and so proud of how beautifully she's been growing up. Some anxiety started to creep in when I started really thinking about what I would put in her lunch. And then, the night before she started school, I had a full-blown emotional meltdown... my little girl is growing up!
The last weekend before school started was an indulgence in all kinds of fun: not only was it 4th of July weekend, but we also had a great visit with Auntie Bobbie. We did all kinds of fun things with Auntie Bobbie, including a trip to Roller Towne, crazy water hopscotch, water guns and 4th of July crafts... but no fireworks, she's still too afraid. (Thanks for a great visit Auntie Bobbie!)




1 comment:
Goodness... Was behind on my blog reading and just pulled this up. Little Leila with her bookbag on her first day of school... the most precious thing! Feels like it was only yesterday I was rushing over to meet her for the first time at the hospital... Makes my heart all warm thinking about it...
Miss you ladies! I'm down in San Fran again in December and would love to take a road trip over a weekend to visit! Kisses!
Post a Comment