This was once a pretty yellow and red flower that I painted on Leila's left cheek...

...and this is the design that she took upon herself to paint on her right cheek when I wasn't looking...

Leila's enjoying her new spring look, experimenting with sunglasses...

...and tank tops at the park on a hot April day...

Now, I know this is Leila's blog, but well, I just thought I'd share this momentous event with you all. In an effort to get back in shape, I signed up for a triathlon. And it happened yesterday at Lake Millerton, just north of Fresno. It couldn't have been a more perfect day. Regardless of perfect weather conditions, it was still the month of April, and the lake water was a frigid 60 degrees. Since I was one of three people (out of about 150) that wasn't wearing a wetsuit (very foolish), I suffered beyond my wildest fears. It was only 400 yards, but for a minute or two, I didn't think my arms were going to get me past that second buoy. Alas, I made it to dry land and stumbled with brain freeze out of the lake and up the boat ramp to the transition area. Delirious as I may have been, I was happy to be on the bike, that is, until half the race seemed to whiz by me. I struggled up the hills, clipless, on my little commuter bike as all the fancy bikes sped along, some riders shouting out praise for my clipless bravery. Then I'd zoom down the hills almost too quick for comfort, and struggle up the next. In a masochistic way, I actually quite enjoyed the ride and the beautiful green rolling hills. As I huffed and puffed, the cows grazing alongside the road mooed fervently and it sounded a lot like the moans of pain reverberating within me, and I actually managed to laugh out loud. After 12 miles, I was back in the transition area and realized that my feet were still numb from the cold swim. My legs felt surprisingly strong, but with each stride, my feet were all pins and needles. The first half of the run was up and down a single track trail lined with lupine and other wildflowers that I admired when I wasn't entirely focused on the dirt beneath my still numb feet, concentrating on keeping my ankles from twisting and spraining on a pothole, rock or loose gravel. For the second 1.5 miles, we were back on the road and my legs felt a surge of freedom and strength. I actually passed a few runners. As I came into the finish line, I was surprised to see a finish time of 1 hour 18 minutes, which was under my goal time (my goal time that did not anticipate intense hills and brain freezing water). And as it turned out, that time got me third place in my age group. Fancy that. I think I might try another triathlon in the fall, maybe even an Olympic distance tri. Bike pedal clips and a wetsuit are a must though.



4 comments:
Congrats! I, too, have been one of the few brave souls without a wetsuit, so I feel your numbing feet pain. 3rd in your age group - I'm impressed, young lady!
Niki. Seriously. You are an amazing woman!
Darling you are truly an inspiration to us all! I love your trials and tribulations.. daunting bravery and all the often stunning success! I'm very, very proud of you for this feat! A triathlon is a major accomplishment. Maybe some day I can join you... Leila and Max can bring our mature bodies refreshments at the finish line! Lots of love to you. (BTW - Your body looks extremely fit and youthful; that last comment was a forecast for years to come!)
Many besos! Hilary
WOW!!!!! Way to go, Mama!!!!!
Post a Comment